Email Subsciptions

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Todaysgist Updates

Popular Posts

Home » , » 10 minutes with choc boi,Jesse Jags

10 minutes with choc boi,Jesse Jags



HE has been described as Nigeria’s Kanye West because of his flirtatious experimentation with different genres of music from R&B to roots reggae to pop all built on a predominantly Hip hop foundation.

Though a native of Pyeri in Taraba State, Jesse grew up in Jos, Plateau State in a music-filled environment with both parents (clergy) which gave him access to the church choir and drums set by age 7. He recorded his first album with a group named Gospel Insanity. Unfortunately; the album never got released due to fallout of some of the members. Jesse started producing beats professionally and thereafter formed another group ‘Eleven Thirty’ which quickly became a huge success in Jos.

In 2004, he hooked up with Jude Abaga a.k.a MI together they started Inner Hub Studios. By 2006, Jesse started a solo career with a debut-hit “Africa” that remained at No1 on the Cool FM chart for months.

Between 2006 and 2007 Jesse Jagz had 3 songs simultaneously dominating the top ten charts on Cool FM, RayPower FM as well as Rhythm FM! becoming street anthems in and around the North of Nigeria.

Jesse Jagz hit songs include Bend Down low, Sugar Cane Baby, The Greatest, Wetin Dey, while his hit song My Brother was selected as part of the International Music Entrepreneur of the Year (IYMEY) 2008 compilation.

In February 2009, the hip hop artist was selected to represent Nigeria at the 2009 edition of Sauti Za Busara Music Festival- a yearly international festival celebrating East African music and features top-quality musical performances by more than 400 established and upcoming artistes (40 groups in total) and over the years has established itself as one of Africa’s leading music festivals which held in Zanzibar, Tanzania.

He also released two new singles “Las Gidi Grinding” in July, 2011 and “Demo” in September 2011 respectively.

Jesse Jags was the man of the night at the S2DB irep Abuja series 3 last weekend and Friday Treat caught up with him. Excerpts: 

You call yourself Oluwa Jago Jesse Jags?
Mystery Jesse Jags. I am actually, S2DB made me the mystery man tonight.

Honestly, We can't help but compliment your blonde hair-do.

Wow! Thank you so much, actually that's my new look now.

What's the idea behind the new look?
Well, I wanted a new look to define Jesse Jags, so I decided to do this. I present to you Jesse Jags Oluwa Jago.

We have seen you perform in shows before, but your performance tonight was something else. What is the secret behind your electrifying stage performances?

(Laughs) I am the surprise. When they told me (S2DB) that I was going to be one of the surprise stars for tonight, I made up my mind to really surprise them and my fans. That's why I did the new song "Murder Dem". I felt good doing it and the response and support I got on stage Was out of this world! I am the surprise, I did a couple of songs, though some which I did the remix here on stage and you know the rest. It's Jago!

In your songs, what's always your inspiration?

God is the best. First, when I came into the scene it was Jesse Jags but now it's Oluwa Jago! I am rocking the mic and am really enjoying it.

What should fans expect from you soon?

Seriously, you guys brought me here as a surprise tonight I think I'll like to surprise you guys too, so keep your fingers crossed and let's play the surprise game together.

What caught your attention tonight?

Everything. From the real reception from fans plenty cameras. At a point I thought I was having a photo shoot. For real, I love this place and love my fans.

What was on your mind tonight when you were dressing up?

I wanted to look simple, casual and to feel free with fans, relate with them through my performance, rock the stage and "Murder Dem".

How many autographs did you sign tonight?

You don't want to know. You'll see them in the morning with fans.

Signed any on any body parts?

Lips Sealed.

Your favourite part of your performance?

The ending part of "Murder Dem". I felt like a surprise.

Any final words?
No word because there's no final yet, you're yet to experience Oluwa Jago, what i got is beginning word. So let the beginning start.
-->