Email Subsciptions

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Todaysgist Updates

Popular Posts

Home » , , » One of my major influences in music is the Nigeria Police

One of my major influences in music is the Nigeria Police



Tha Suspect has been a household name in the Nigerian entertainment industry for many years, churning out hits like "I no send you" and the recent "Subsidy freestyle"which was a huge success. In this interview with Rotimi Ige, he speaks on his life and music influences, amongst other things.

Who is Tha Suspect?

THA Suspect is a character created by David Peter

What would you say influenced you to choose music?

My earliest influences as regards music are basically people from the old school (many of whom are still relevant now) eg Fela Anikulapo Kuti, Wasiu Ayinde Barrister, Dr Dre, King Sunny Ade, Shalamar etc... Tai Solarin too, though he was not a musician.

How did you discover your talent?

There's no such thing as "how I discovered my talent"... I Just had a passion for music, trying to put words and sounds together. Left to me, I would have ended up as a footballer. Music just happened somehow and I still can't explain it.

You started as a producer? Tell us how you became a producer?

I didn't start off completely as a producer, I was in a fuji group, a gospel acapella group, the school band, a rap/hiphop group at various times and the two people that made me veer into music production were Andre Romelle Young a.k.a Dr Dre and my brother, Clarence Peters.

What makes you tick?

I can't say for real what makes me tick. All I know is that I'm willing to experiment and fuse different sounds and genres. I just keep re-inventing myself everytime.

You are also an artiste. Tell us about that.

I don't really see myself as an artiste. I'm an entertainer, so being an artistic person gives me the licence to explore. If ,you call me an artiste, well no problem.

Your videos are always different and funny. What inspires your videos?

My videos are just a visual representation of my songs. If its a parody, just expect to see the comical side of me. Life is bitter/sweet and it reflects in my songs. If I make love song now, talking about how much I love my woman, I ll still say something stupid at the end. That's just me being me.

Tell us about the Clarence Peters/ Capital Hill music connection. How did it come about?

Clarence is my brother, partner, colleague and God's blessing in my life. He is one of the people that pushed me to explore production in its totality. We started CapitalHill a long time ago, when people didn't believe in us and called us fools for attempting to live our dreams. We started with a group of girls called M3, but it didn't work out because they just couldn't hold it together.

What is the working relationship like and how do you manage artistes signed to the label?

The relationship is cordial. We are a family and most of all, we made a balance between everything and made sure everything is on paper. I fit be street boy o but i know wetin be intellectual property. As regards the business side, I have Mr Melvin Ejiofor, the C.E.O of the Goretti company, handling my management. Every submission from upcoming artistes wanting to be signed to the label has my signature as the last appendage.

Tell us about your first performance.

My first performance as Tha Suspect was great. I wasn't nervous because I was used to crowds and all. I just went all out and enjoyed myself.

Other accomplishments since then?

A couple of nominations and awards at various stages either as a gospel act or secular artiste

Tell us about your best performance?

There's no "best performance" for me. Like I said, I go all out and enjoy myself, it doesn't matter if I'm performing to a crowd of goats or humans.

Your 'Subsidy' video was a hit despite the fact that it was hurriedly done. How did you come about it?

The Subsidy (freestyle) song is one of those songs that I did not plan for because it happened just before my birthday. I just wanted to put up an online music production tutorial video for up and coming producers when the incident occured. I decided to say something about the situation but after making the beat, I couldn’t write because of family issues I had to take care of, so I did a freestyle on the beat and said to myself, 

“I, ll come back and write properly”, but after putting it on my phone and having a few people listen, it started to make sense. The following day, Clarence, illBliss and I, joined the protest, went out with a camera just to capture the events before we knew it, a friend, Ayobanjo, the C.E.O of WongFaeHong pictures, cut it and it became sort of like a music-documentary video.

Why do you think some major artistes didn't speak up during the subsidy protests?

I don’t know why they didn’t speak up, I can only speak for myself.

Many artistes call you Mr controversial or Mr Yabis. Is that true?

I’m not Mr yabis o! I just air my views. Everybody get dia mouth now.

Who are your greatest influences in music?

I listen to basically everything but my major influences are Dr Dre, Fela Anikulapo Kuti and the Nigerian Police.

Tell us something most fans don't know about you?

I dey piss for house when I dey small. My life is quite open and sincere however, “if people know some key tins about you, dem go kpai you easily now”. All they should pay attention to is Suspect the Entertainer and free David Peter.

What is the worst rumour that you have heard about yourself?

Rumours? I' ve heard a lot o, plenty tins. Two years ago, they put word out in Ikeja (Balogun) that I shot and maimed somebody, meanwhile I was in the lab working that day! Also, recently, one of my boys was in a bar drinking, when some dudes mentioned that Clarence and I split the company and broke up. According to sources, he “patched them up” badly for peddling that rumour. I just laugh through all of it because these things are bound to happen.

Rate the Nigerian music industry right now?

Honestly, we try our best possible. The world is in love with Nigerian music. We still have a long way to go but I'll give us six and a half over 10.

What are its challenges?

Challenges vary much, from good artistes with great music not getting played or not getting proper funding to put themselves together, to power not being available for some studios to operate at a maximum etc..

Entertainment is agog with a lot of activities, blossoming too, but my prayer is that things should be set straight now. In this time and age, we are still having issues with royalties, intellectual property violations and all.

What solutions can you proffer?

Me I no know get any solution o, Na only Eledumare go save us.

What makes Capital Hill Music a power broker that it is today?

CapitalHill is a power broker? Dat na long grammar o,we are just a young company with a lot of ideas and always willing to experiment. “na God dey play our freekicks’.

You have a particular sense of fashion. Tell us about it?

I don’t have a fashion sense, I just check my wardrobe for anything clean and gbam, I don enter streets go hustle be dat. But like you noticed, I love three-quarters jeans, though, I wear it for fertility reasons.

Your favourite car?

I don’t drive a car, madam drives. I love okadas, every bike ride is pure bliss.

Your plans for 2012?

2012 is a year for us (team CAPital) to unleash some new talents either signed to us or just going through our artistes development programme. We'll be dropping materials from Zee (Rapper), Chidinma (former MTN ProjectFame Winner) and Tesh Carter (very new to the scene), mind blowing music I must confess, just watch out.

Album?

I thought about dropping another album but now we still have to release OGABOSS from illBliss, The CAPitalHill_Project and a couple of other TV things so mine has to wait for sometime.

Any collabos?

I collaborated with some Brazillians last year, Bruno Barudi and Fred Vieria (both DJ’s) and I just shot my part of the video with CAPitalDreams. Hopefully, when we are done, you ll see for yourself.

Any word for upcoming artistes/produ-cers?
Be yourself and be focused.
-->